Want a simple and guilt-free way to satisfy a chocolate craving? Look no further than this ultra-easy real food single serving chocolate cake!
Last winter, after a particularly mommy-ish day, I tucked the littles in bed and retreated to the kitchen, craving silence, comfy PJs, and chocolate. But not just any chocolate would do.
I wanted a single serving of the cozy warm chocolate comfort that only a rich piece of cake can give. Chocolate mug cake recipes abound online, but not the kind I was after.
I wanted the yummy comfort of chocolate cake and the ease of a microwaved mug cake. I also wanted to go to bed without the guilt of too much refined flour and sugar.
Cake and guilt tend to be unfortunate partners.
My searches for a real food chocolate cake came up empty, so I set out to make the ideal bedtime chocolate cake: real food, guilt-free, simple, and delicious.
This is it. You can thank me later.
Oh, and for those of you who need to eat gluten-free? I’ve got you covered, because this is totally grain-free and made with coconut flour.
So how easy is it, you ask?
All of the main ingredients are measured out by 1 tablespoon.
Yep, that easy. You can practically make it with your eyes closed, though I don’t exactly recommend it.
With minimal effort, a little mixing, and about ten minutes to bake, you’ll have a guilt-free hunk of chocolate comfort all warm and ready for your indulgence.
Guilt-Free Chocolate Cake for One
Disclosure: I’ve included affiliate links in this post, never costing you extra but supporting this site with a commission if you make a purchase through them. Thanks!
- 1 T. butter, softened
- 1 T. sour cream
- 1 T. unrefined cane sugar (though really, any sugar will work)
- 1 egg
- small splash vanilla extract
- 1 T. cocoa or cacao powder (minor differences, don’t worry)
- 1 T. coconut flour
- small dash salt (I use Real Salt)
- 1 T. dark chocolate chips
- Butter a 2 cup glass baking dish. I use this Pyrex food storage container that’s also oven safe (love those things!). Preheat a toaster oven to 350.
- In a small bowl, mix together the butter, sour cream, and sugar with a fork until all combined. Add the egg and vanilla, and stir again.
- Stir in the cocoa powder, coconut flour, and dash of salt. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Pour into the greased baking dish and bake for about 10-12 minutes. Enjoy your momma medicine!
I’m not sure how well this will work in a microwave. We don’t have one, but I suppose you could try! If you do, be sure to leave a comment and let me know how it worked.
Also, you could bake this in a regular oven. I just suggest a toaster oven because I avoid heating up my big gas oven (which subsequently pumps out all manner of heat into my tiny boxed-in kitchen) if at all possible.
And while I call this a chocolate cake for one, it really does make enough to share with another person. But I can’t find a good reason to not eat it all myself, so that’s what I do.
So go ahead momma… enjoy that chocolate comfort once they’re all in bed. It’ll be our little secret!