You may remember a recipe I shared recently for a very tasty grain and gluten-free chocolate cake. It’s one of our favorites!
Since we enjoyed that recipe so much, I thought it would be a good idea to tweak it a bit to make a yummy coffee cake. With a few simple changes, I had a delightful coconut flour coffee cake coming out of the oven and on to our plates.
Like the chocolate cake, this recipe is sweetened with honey and the natural sweetness that you find in coconut flour. We love ours with shredded coconut on top, but you can leave the toppings off if that’s more in line with your family’s preferences.
If you want a naturally sweetened gluten-free coffee cake, I think you’ll be please with this one!
Pause. A moment of disclosure: You guessed it. This post contains a couple of affiliate links. If you purchase through one of these links, it doesn’t cost you a thing, but can support this site with a small commission or coupon. Thanks!
This recipe comes together rather quickly in the food processor or mixer. In fact, there is really very little work to do on your part!
If you’ve baked with coconut flour before, you understand that this flour is like a sponge. A little bit of coconut flour soaks up a lot of moisture! For that reason, not much flour is used, and you will let the batter soak up the wet ingredients for a few minutes before spreading it into the pan to bake.
Honey-Sweetened Coconut Flour Coffee Cake
- 2/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup cream cheese
- 1/2 cup honey
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut flour (find it here or here)
- 1-2 teaspoons cinnamon (suit your family’s preferences)
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup toppings: shredded coconut, chopped nuts, or a combination (optional)
- Cinnamon & sugar (optional)
- In a food processor or mixer, cream together the butter, cream cheese and honey, then add eggs and vanilla and mix well.
- Add the coconut flour, spices, and salt. Mix until smooth, scraping the bowl as needed. Set aside for the coconut flour to soak up the moisture.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease a 9 inch round cake or pie pan with butter. Spread the cake batter evenly into the pan with a spatula. Sprinkle the top evenly with optional coconut and/or nuts, and sprinkle cinnamon and sugar over all (if using).
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes, or until set and done in the center.
- Cool on a wire rack in the pan and serve warm or at room temperature.
I love this in the morning a hot cup of coffee, scrambled eggs, a little bit of bacon, and fresh fruit. Talk about a breakfast!
Of course, this is delicious any time of the day, and since it comes together so quickly, you can whip it up whenever the mood strikes.
Like the chocolate cake, this one is also very filling. We typically get 8-10 servings out of one small cake.
Here’s to a tasty morning or evening treat!