As winter continues to make its exit and spring takes over in full force, my family and I find ourselves outside much more. After months of being mostly stuck indoors, it’s so refreshing to feel the wind, hear birds, and see the plants popping out of the ground. The days are longer, too, giving us more time to catch up on the necessary yard and garden work of early spring.
With all of that fresh air and work beckoning to me outside, it’s so hard for me to want to come back in at 4pm to start making supper. As all too often happens, we sometimes manage to get back inside well after our usual dinner time, and if I haven’t planned ahead, I’m left to face the question of “What’s for dinner?” when I’m already tired and hungry.
One quick meal that is always a hit with our family is tuna melts. Nutritious, tasty, and ready in minutes, these are a great solution to the dinner question when time is short and bellies are empty.
- 2 cans tuna in extra virgin olive oil or plain water (try avoid the varieties canned in broth or vegetable oil, as these both contain soy)
- 1/4 cup sour cream (Daisy is one brand that I like because it is just cultured cream)
- Fresh (up to 1/4 cup) or dried (about 1 teaspoon) herbs to taste (fresh chives is a favorite of ours, but dried thyme makes a good addition, too)
- 8 slices bread, preferably a natural and nutritious bread like homemade sourdough
- Cheese slices
- Tomato slices or prepared salsa
- Mix tuna, sour cream, and herbs together in a bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste if needed.
- Spread on bread slices. Top with a tomato slice or 2 T. salsa if desired. The grown-ups at our house go for the tomato or salsa option, and the littles usually skip it.
- Top each piece of bread with a slice of cheese.
- Place on a wire rack in a pan and bake at 400 for about 10-15 minutes, until the cheese is melted and lightly browned.
- Serve with carrot sticks and some sliced fruit, and dinner is served! We also like these with oven fries when I’ve planned ahead accordingly.
***Just a reminder: the Lilla Rose Mystery Hostess Party is still going on! It’s a great way to try out Lilla Rose and get the chance to earn some free and discounted items, too. Last Tuesday’s post about the party was sent out with some incorrect links, but these are fixed now. I’d love for you to revisit the post and join the party! Thanks, dear readers!***
Linking up at: Mama Moments Monday, Homestead Barn Hop, Modest Monday, Teach Me Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Titus 2sday, Wise Woman Link Up, Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways, Simple Living Wednesdays, Homemaking Link Up, Healthy 2day Wednesday