Relaxing Pillow Spray with Essential Oils
Relax right to sleep with an essential oil pillow spray! A soothing blend of calming oils make this an enjoyable way to settle down for sleep.
Sometimes, after one of those days, I have a hard time falling asleep at night. My mind might be racing or just plain fried, but either way, I need a little something extra to help me relax enough for sleep.
One of my very favorite drift-off-to-sleep aides is a pillow spray made with essential oils. Soothing scents of lavender, ylang ylang, chamomile, and more are just what I need when I really want to relax.
I love how easy aromatherapy sprays are to make. This pillow spray is very similar to the air freshener sprays I’ve shared before with essential oils in a base of vodka and water. After a little mixing and shaking, you’re all set for sweet dreams!
This recipe is flexible, too. I’m sharing my favorite combination, but I also have some ideas for you to try if you want to make a simpler version.
I actually use a blend of five relaxing essential oils for my pillow spray. Lavender is the star, of course, but the four other oils add such a unique scent to the blend that I think you could love it even if you don’t care for lavender on its own.
Ylang ylang is one of my absolute favorite scents, so it had to be included. Roman chamomile and spikenard are both great oils for relaxation and blend well with lavender.
Vetiver really anchors the blend. It’s a thick, strong oil that people either love or hate. On its own, I’m not crazy about it, but I do find it effective. In a blend, though, I really like the depth that it adds.
I’m not the only one in the family who loves this spray. My son sometimes has a hard time falling asleep after his tae kwon do practice, and he knows that a spritz of this spray really helps him relax so he can sleep.
Relaxing Pillow Spray
Affiliate links are used for ingredients and materials. Purchasing through these links doesn’t cost you extra but supports my site with a commission. Thank you!
- 2 oz. vodka
- 9 drops lavender (Lavandula angustifolia)
- 4 drops Roman chamomile (Chamaemelum nobile)
- 3 drops ylang ylang (Cananga odorata)
- 2 drops spikenard (Nardostachys jatamansi)
- 2 drops vetiver (Vetiveria zizanoides)
- 2 oz. water
*My favorite oils come from Florihana, but you can find quality organic essential oils from Mountain Rose Herbs and Plant Therapy, too.
- Combine the vodka and essential oils, then pour into a glass or metal spray bottle. Shake well.
- Add the 2 oz. water, add the bottle top, and shake again. Label your spray bottle with the formula name, ingredients, and directions to shake before lightly spraying.
- To use, shake the bottle well then lightly spritz pillow cases and bed linens. One or two sprays is typically enough for one pillow.
Pillow Spray Options
If you need to simplify your linen spray (because you know I’m a fan of keeping your essential oil collection simple when you just begin!), you can do that easily. Here are some options:
- Just use 20 drops lavender essential oil in the 2 oz. vodka and 2 oz. water.
- Try 15 drops lavender and 5 drops Roman chamomile, ylang ylang, or sandalwood.
- Use 10 drops lavender and an additional 10 drops of any other relaxing essential oils. Vetiver, ylang ylang, sandalwood, frankincense, red mandarin, rose, cypress, patchouli, palmarosa and others would all be suitable options.
One thing I love about aromatherapy is that there is so much room for personalization and creativity. You want to enjoy the smell of your own linen spray and find it relaxing, so don’t be afraid to substitute some of the oils that I use in mine! Just use essential oils that gentle and relaxing, and you’re sure to find a combination you enjoy.
Be sure to check out my book Essential Oils: Separating Truth from Myth for a solid understanding of essential oils without the hype.