Stress is an unavoidable fact of life. Everyone deals with it, but some days offer more than the typical dose.
We all have days when we could use a little boost of calm. With five littles in this house, I don’t think I’d ever turn down a daily boost of peace, calm, and destressing!
There are all sorts of ways to help deal with stress levels on particularly rough days. Herbal teas, exercise, a walk outdoors, and soothing music can be great!
Essential oils are also a fantastic way to unwind and calm down when stress seems to get the better of us. Personal preference definitely plays a part in which oils can help us relax, so today I’m sharing five of my favorite oils.
The next time you’re feeling overwhelmed with stress, one of these might do the trick for you!
In fact, last week, I was dealing with some serious anxiety. I woke up with my stomach in knots, I was constantly on edge, and felt like I was drowning in the sea of I Can’t Keep Up.
Of course, I can’t possibly do everything. When I’ve slept enough or maybe even snagged a nap, I can keep that in mind. But when I’m lacking sleep and have had little time to myself? It’s not so easy!
When I found myself feeling totally overwhelmed, I turned to some helpful practices like calling loved ones, favorite music, and rethinking our routine for the day. I also started diffusing some of my favorite essential oils.
- Lavender is well known and respected as a calming essential oil. In fact, it’s even been shown helpful in hospital settings with patients being treated for serious health conditions!
- Sweet Orange can be uplifting while still helping with anxiety. Many citrus oils could be used, but sweet orange is a personal preference of mine.
- Rosemary has also shown to be helpful in situations that promote stress and anxiety while also helping alertness. I know when I’m stressed, I often can’t think clearly!
- Ylang Ylang is just a favorite scent of mine. I simply love it! One study referred to it as “harmonizing”, and I think that is fitting. In that study, the oil was found to reduce blood pressure and pulse rate while increasing attentiveness.
- Bergamot oil is often a favorite of essential oil users for times of anxiety, showing much promise. It has a unique citrus scent that I really enjoy.
I love blending about 5 parts lavender, 2 parts rosemary and sweet orange (each), and one part ylang ylang and diffusing when I’m feeling stressed. It’s become a new favorite of mine! It’s also great diluted in a carrier oil and rubbed onto the skin.
For common sense guidance and evidence based essential oil information, be sure to check out my book Essential Oils: Separating Truth from Myth, available in print, Kindle, and PDF download.
If you’re looking for quality essential oils, there are many brands that offer them. I’ve always been pleased with my oils from Mountain Rose Herbs, Plant Therapy, and Tropical Traditions (affiliate links) and recommend them as a great place to start.